Friday, June 16, 2006

And I'm Here!

Hi from Birmingham!

I arrived yesterday afternoon, went to my hotel to pick up my registration packet, and then straight to my committee meeting at the Convention Center. Kerra, you'll be happy to know that the YADs do at least have a hotel. Though our key cards don't work most of the time, we are grateful that we are not staying in dorm rooms that haven't been cleaned from the previous school year.

For those of you who don't know, I'm on the Ecclesiology Committee (number 6), and we're dealing with the infamous Peace, Unity, and Purity Report. Because of the controversial nature of the business before my committee, we began meeting early (most other committees meet for the first time tomorrow). So, I missed the YAD orientation yesterday, but I hear that I'm probably better off that way anyway. We started yesterday with some group building exercises. Then, we broke for dinner where I ran into my friend from Vanderbilt Shane's Dad (Mike Magee), who is a commissioner from Middle Tennessee and Roger Marriot, a missionary in Guatemala who spoke to my Presbyterian Student Fellowship group at Vandy. I love that the PC(USA) is such a small world! We approved the committee agenda with some discussion as to what a Quasi Committee of the Whole is (I'm sure you can all bust out the Robert's Rules as many of my committee members did).

Today, we had more YAD orientation, which I got to go to. I've met some terrific people already. This afternoon was the first plenary meeting, and tonight we got into the "good stuff," the election of the moderator. Joan Grey, a minister from the Atlanta Presbytery won. To be honest, she was my second choice, but I really think she'll do a great job.

I appreciate all the love and support you are all sending my way. I get teary-eyed just thinking about my wonderful church family at home. I just hope I can live up to your expectations!

It's 12:30 and just about bedtime; we start early tomorrow morning with a breakfast and then committee meetings!

Claire

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Claire,

You are the best YAD ever, and that is a totally objective opinion! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Claire,
Hope everything is going ok. I got your message today. Sounds like a busy, busy time. Be safe.
Love, Dad