Monday, May 28, 2007

Roads and Flowers

The roads from Armenia to Belmopan and Belmopan to San Ignacio have become much less exotic, since we have driven back and forth so many times. I still assume I will get lost if we are going someplace new or even for the second time. San Ignacio has several one-way streets, but none is marked, so I have found myself going the wrong way several times. Our first time through San Ignacio, I missed the westbound bridge and took the eastbound bridge, which has one narrow lane. Fortunately, an oncoming truck waited for me rather than making me back up, and the policeman who was near the end of the bridge didn’t pursue me. On every trip we have to stop at a police roadblock, but they only check the inspection and insurance stickers.

The flowers are beautiful. Hibiscus and bougainvilleas are everywhere, and there is a lovely tree called Shower of Gold with huge clusters of yellow flowers without any leaves to obscure them, and the Flamboyant tree, which is a bright orange. I want to bring home some seeds, but I think Customs wouldn’t approve.

We are checking the blog as well as posting, and we would love to hear from you.

Chuck

No comments: