Thursday, August 09, 2012

Belize Time: Thursday AM

Dave and I met in the lobby of the Bullfrog Inn this morning at 7 for breakfast. We reviewed plans and options for today and the rest of the week, waiting for a call from Douglas Flores to figure out what would happen next. Douglas called around 7:50 and reported that the ferries to San Pedro, Ambergris were running and he was planning to be on the 10:30 ferry with Dave and gear. He said he’d meet us in about 20 minutes. Since I didn’t need to be in Armenia until 9, I figured I’d wait with Dave to make sure the handoff went without hitch. Douglas showed up around 8:45, apologizing for being late. I grinned and said “Belize time”. He looked sheepish and said he usually tried to be early.

I believe him.

I headed off toward Armenia, figuring I’d be about 15 – 20 minutes late for my 9:00 meeting with Orestes Sho, the village chair. I thought “Belize Time”. I arrived a little earlier than I expected, but still about 10 minutes later than scheduled. I wandered around the community center and our 2005 laundry building, now apparently abandoned Peace Corps lodging, thinking he might be doing the same. Everything was locked up tight. I walked down to the shop on the corner and asked if they new where Mr. Sho was. The oriental girl at the counter looked puzzled and glanced at the Guatemalan girl stocking shelves. She said “He means Oris” (their nickname for Orestes). I redirected my question to her and she said “He’s not here” “Do you know where he is?” “He went to Belmopan” “When will he be back?” “Oh, a few minutes” “OK, I’ll hang around. Tell him someone’s looking for him.” Belize time.

I walked around the school, checking out the new second story on the big classroom building. It’s all framed up and ready for roofing. I took a closer look at our water tanks from 2008. They’re full to overflowing. I pulled out my computer and sat on the steps of the Community Center to compose this blog entry. It’s now 10:20. I guess I’ll head back to the shop and let them know I’ll try again later this afternoon.

Belize time.

- dan

No comments: