Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Dangerous Promises

I'm discovering the danger of making promises.
It's midnight Oak Ridge time, merely 11:00 and lights out Gulfport time.
But I promised we'd blog our trip, and everyone else is trying to find a place to sleep.
So here I am.
Our trip to Gulfport was relatively uneventful. The three vehicles arrived at the church within a half hour of each other. Our van pulled in right behind the bus from Second Presbyterian of Knoxville. It was pandemonium inside. People and noise everywhere. After some jockeying and jostling, we found a place for Dave's camper, and a soft grassy spot for my huge canvas cabin of a tent. After spaghetti dinner, we met for a briefing and a worship service. Sarah was a singer with the band, and I got to click the Powerpoint slides.
Tomorrow we're splitting up. Of 7 work teams, 5 will be heading to Biloxi and roof work; 2 (including Dave Mullins team) will be heading to Gulfport and Bay St. Louis to help people 'muck out' their houses. For some of these homeowners, today was the first time they've been back to their houses since the storm. My small group, which happens to include Drew, Jordan and Claire, will be part of a roofing team heading to Biloxi.
John, Paul, Jordan and I are sharing the tent. Drew, Daniel and Dave are sharing the popup. Syd and Walt are in the sanctuary with a host of others. And Sarah and Claire are off in the adjacent school building with the rest of the women.
We have no idea what tomorrow will hold. We know the excitement is high. And breakfast starts at 6:30.
Keep us in your prayers.

- dan terpstra

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The blog is working fine, Dan. Thanks for the update. The "party" has begun! -JT

Anonymous said...

I keep picturing you and Sarah on the roof, and being very glad I'm not there to see it up close and personal. Ben and I miss you both.
Be safe.
Peggy