Thursday, February 19, 2009

On our Way

We're in the air over Atlanta and the captain has just announced that we can use approved electronic devices. So out comes my computer. I've got a choice. I can write another entry for the blog. Or I can write an update on the Community Garden for the Banner. Blog sounds more fun.
Mary Mullins delivered us safely to the airport this morning, where we cooled our heels waiting for departure. We sat on the ground for a half hour waiting for clearance from Atlanta. A bit unnerving, since we only had a 45 minute layover. We made it, after a mad dash up the escalators to our gate. And we even got a chance to meet Pat Montgomery, albeit very briefly, before boarding.
I’ve got a window seat, and I must not be composing my thoughts too quickly, because I can see the Florida coast as I glance out the window. Soon we’ll be in Belize. I’m trying to focus on today and not look too far ahead.
An email yesterday from our host for tonight, Ray Neu, indicates that he’s been busy. He says he’s got several completed Water Issues Surveys from locations in our area, and recommends that we stop at a school on the way to Dangriga to talk with the principal who is interested in a water system.
Valerie Osborne, our contact for Mafredi, tells us that although there’s no cafĂ© or restaurant in the village (just a church, a school, two shops and four houses), the local families are excited about our visit tomorrow and planning to cook for us. She says we’re in for a treat.
Another email message last night indicates that Ray Hopkins, our Swarthmore partner, is still negotiating a place to stay for Monday night. One of the families of Yalbac has a resort near Cristo Rey, and a camp near Yalbac. We’d like to stay overnight at the camp while we’re negotiating with the village about the water system, but so far the price we’ve been quoted for the camp is higher than for the resort. We’ll need to see what happens here.
We’ve picked up a solid cloud cover, so there’s nothing to see out the window. I hope it breaks before we get to Cuba. In the meanwhile I suppose I should write that garden article.
Dan Terpstra

No comments: