Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Clinic Notes

I won’t hurt you. “No voy a causarle dolor.” This is what I was trying to communicate with my eyes and my smile without much success. Two year olds are supposed to be scared of strangers especially ones that want to touch them with “things”. How scary it is not to understand what is happening or why it is happening; especially when we are children. Keep in mind I was doing fairly non-evasive procedures such as taking blood pressures, pulse rates, and respiration rates in the medical clinic but I was overcome with the desire to make sure the children knew I wasn’t going to hurt them. Smiling helps!!! Often I was rewarded with a huge grin in response to my smiles and if I was lucky may be even a giggle. I really had to stop and pray several times, “Lord, I want to help not hurt.” Finding the English to Spanish Medical Dictionary and translating “I won’t hurt you” increased my confidence and hopefully eased the fears of several toddlers and young children. I have no idea what the children who speak Mayan and not Spanish thought I was saying. My goal tomorrow is to learn how to say I won’t hurt you in Mayan. Keep me in your prayers, who knows how Mayan sounds with a slight southern drawl.

Having the opportunity to return to Belize and work on the mission projects gives me the incredible sense that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing, serving God. When my heart serves I feel all is right with the world. I know in my head that I don’t have to travel to another country to serve Him but stepping out of the daily routine and INTENTIONALLY serving is freeing to my soul. So today I learned to take blood pressures on a squirming, squalling toddler as well as learned how to communicate several different ways – “No voy a causarle dolor” and felt my soul soar with service and love for my Lord.

The clinic was able to serve approximately 27 people today. Dale (our Nurse Practioner) was also able to spend quite a bit of time with the village’s health care workers answering their questions, offering solutions as well as assessing the needs of the village as a whole. Tomorrow should bring more people in need of medical care and we will do our best to treat the issues present.

In peace,

elizabeth

No comments: