Wednesday, March 19, 2008

From Jessica - Painting in Armenia day 2

Yesterday was a productive day. The teens painted more of the schools and we even painted inside of one school building. After all of the schools were done we headed to a town council building to paint it grey. It was smaller than a school building so it took us about two hours to do the inside and outside of it. We had a lot of help.

During the day some teens spotted a tarantula. A boy named Kevin apparently was thrilled to see it and I think he stepped on it. I was not there to see it but it was definitely memorable. Kevin helped us paint and we all came to the conclusion that he stayed for one of our paint buckets. He ended up receiving 2. These were for water. It’s hard to believe that kids would stand around the whole day waiting for a bucket. But that’s what really happened.

I took some pictures in the morning of a bunch of kids jammed on the slide. They really wanted their pictures taken. One of the little boys had a big bump on his forehead. One little girl’s teeth were in pretty bad shape.


At the beginning of the trip I was expecting Armenia to be in terrible conditions. I thought the water was going to be horrible. When I got there it really wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. People bought water, and some people got it from the pipes.

Most of the kids I interacted with were the happiest you’d ever see them. They were so happy and they all wanted to help. Some kids even helped with construction. All of the kids were very nice and none of them judgmental. Everyone here does not care what you look like. It’s so easy and laid back.

One of the kids I met named Suli had never been to the ocean. I’m going to the ocean on Friday and some of the kids here have never even seen an ocean.

I love all the experiences I am having here and I hope to remember them all.

-jessica kszos

No comments: