Friday, March 21, 2008

Fom Anne, Friday

Orphanage Update - Sorry I haven't posted all week, but you know I hate technology.

Tuesday Joanie and I headed back to the orphanage. I did more laundry and she worked in the kitchen and a dentist was there. Dora did say that she appreciated the help. We had more time with the kids. At one point I had Lequesha and Leah (Dora's daughter) each on a knee. It reminded me of when the twins were little. After about an hour, Lequesha asked me if she could tell me a secret in my ear. I said yes, and she whispered in my ear "I'm afraid of the dentist". I told her I used to be also and we went and watched the dentist for about 30 minutes. Then she told me to follow her and she went and put her name on the list for the dentist! I told her she was a brave girl. Joanie had a lot of time with the kids since lunch was so late.

Wednesday morning I took a walk with the teens and went back to the orphanage to take the older kids to swim at blue hole. Of course they weren't ready when we got there, but we stayed cool and waited until they were. Chio (the bus driver) started honking the horn and they all started climbing on the bus. They asked Joanie and I if we wanted to ride with them and we agreed. Chio makes the trip in a lot less time than any of our drivers! I think our children were scared for our lives, but Joanie & I stayed cool. When we got there we had kids everywhere and it was chaos. Kids jumping where they shouldn't, swimming past where they should, and wandering off. I manned the water and Peggy used her teacher voice from above to keep everyone in line. We even took Eleona, a blind girl. Joanie spent the entire time with her, but we were a little amazed they sent her with us. She did beautifully and she sang several to Joanie in Spanish. Together they sang This is the Day the Lord hath Made in English and then she sang it in English Creole. When it was time to go, Chio started honking the horn, we did a count and thought we were missing 3 kids, they told us there was an extra kid we were missing also. They kept saying they would catch the bus home, but eventually the bus pulled out and the other 4 showed up and got on. I don't think we were following Girl Scout Safety Wise, but were doing it the Belezian way.

Thursday was back to the orphanage for teens, medical and us. We were going to take the kids to the park and play games, but it was raining. So we stayed flexible and ended up playing with the kids and helping them brave the medical team. I apparently have several new daughters since my girls have new sisters. When we got in the van, the teens and us were crying because they wouldn't see their new friends again. I know Kings Children Home is going to be in our monthly budget.

Thanks for all your support. We are flying home tomorrow and if we don't have any problems will spend Easter morning with you.

No comments: